Premier Division review - Round 4

Premier Division Review - Round 4.

By Andrew Dempsey - @AndrewDempsey2


There were wins for Dundalk, Shamrock Rovers, St Patrick’s Athletic, Waterford FC and Limerick FC as the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division 2018 campaign came back with a bang after the disruption of Storm Emma, which paralysed the country and domestic football in general.   

Dundalk 1-0 Cork City

It was a night to remember for Dundalk striker Pat Hoban, as the "Lilywhites" ran out deserving one-nil winners over their bitter rivals from the Rebel County. In truth, City never really got going and it could and probably should have been even more for Stephen Kenny’s men in this highly-anticipated top of the table clash at Oriel Park.

Spurred on by over 3,500 supporters at the age-old venue up in Louth, Cork City fell behind thanks to a goalkeeping howler by Mark McNulty as Pat Hoooban (as they say on Eir Sport!) gobbled up his third goal in two games for "King Kenny’s" men. It could’ve been two as the ‘Dalk missed plenty of chances which included a tame penalty kick from former UCD man Robbie Benson.

All in all, it was a richly deserved victory for Dundalk as they successfully put a halt to Cork City’s blistering run of form since the start of the season and laid down their own statement of intent for the 2018 campaign.

Bohemians 0-1 St.Patrick's Athletic

Having both suffering defeats last time out against Derry City and Waterford FC respectively, it was St. Patrick’s Athletic who won this latest instalment of the Dublin Derby at Dalymount Park as Dean Clarke popped up with the winner at the home of Irish football.

"Bohs" arguably should have taken the early lead in the 6th minute, but talismanic winger Keith Ward saw his penalty effort saved by Barry Murphy in the Pats goal.

Having been stung into life by this early scare, Pat’s reacted well and soon found themselves in front thanks to a Dean Clarke tap-in after some dogged determination from former Shamrock Rovers defender Simon Madden on the right-hand side in the 11th minute.

Keith Long’s men did have their chances to level but it was the side from Inchicore who came out on top over their Phibsborough rivals in the end thanks to some heroic Pat’s defending.

Shamrock Rovers 6-1 Derry City

In arguably the most surprising result of the latest round of fixtures in the Premier Division, Stephen Bradley’s Shamrock Rovers swatted aside Kenny Shiels’ Derry City with relative ease in a six goals to one pummeling of the "Candystripes".

Having only been ahead by the solitary strike from Graham Burke at the break, Rovers moved through the gears and quite frankly, embarrassed Derry City in a second half display at the Tallght Stadium.

Former Aston Villa man Burke got no less than four for the "Hoops" as a returning Ronan Finn and Sean Kavanagh completed the rout for the Tallaght faithful. Ronan Hale scored a consolation for Shiels’ side as they must lick their wounds ahead of their long-awaited return to the Brandywell. For Rovers, they now have a mouth-watering clash against Champions, Cork City to look forward to at Turners Cross.  

Sligo Rovers 1-2 Waterford FC

After a long trip up from the so-called “Sunny South-East” to the North-Eastern fringe of the country, Premier Division new boys Waterford FC continued their fantastic start to life in the top-tier of Irish football thanks to a late, late strike from Irish Under-21 International Courtney Duffus.

Having taken the lead in the first-half of the game through a strike from Gavan Holohan, Waterford FC were eventually pegged back in the second-half thanks to an instinctive striker’s finish from former Liverpool prodigy Adam Morgan in the 67th minute.

However, the game was not going to end in a stalemate as the man of the moment, Courtney Duffus popped up with a very late winner to send the travelling "Blue Army" into a state of delirium in the Showgrounds to consign the "Bit O’Red" to their third defeat of the season as Waterford have continued their sensational early season form since promotion from the First Division.

Limerick 1-0 Bray Wanderers

In what was the lowest attended game of all the Premier Division clashes this weekend, it was Limerick who came out on top in what was described by many as a vital relegation six-pointer at the Markets Field after suffering a heavy away defeat to Dundalk in Oriel Park last time out.

It was a naturally cagey beginning to the game at the Market’s Field as both sides were keen to not suffer further damaging defeats after their very apparent capitulations in their previous Premier Division outings.

After an uninspiring and tepid opening eighty minutes or so, it was Danny Morrissey who popped up with a much-needed winner for Tommy Barrett’s men as Dave Mackey’s men now sit bottom of the pile in the Premier Division.