Premier Division review - Round 6

Article by Andrew Dempsey -  @AndrewDempsey2

Article by Andrew Dempsey - @AndrewDempsey2

It was a case of déjà vu as the game week four fixtures, that were re-fixed for the Bank Holiday Monday after St Patrick’s Day, nearly all fell afoul of the second coming of the "Beast from the East." However, thankfully we did have some Premier Division action as Shamrock Rovers took the spoils at the Market’s Field, while Cork City bounced back from a disappointing away draw to Munster rivals Limerick FC on Friday night.  

Cork City 3-0 Bohemians

A crowd of 4,265 hardy souls saw a routine three-nil victory for Cork City over Keith Long’s Bohemians side, who have now gone five games without a win. The "Gypsies" last win came on the first day of the season over bitter Dublin rivals Shamrock Rovers at Dalymount Park. 
City, keen to exact their own sort of revenge over Keith Long’s "Bohs", after a 2-1 reversal last season at the ‘Cross, took the lead thanks to an 18th minute Graham Cummins finish, as City benefited from some nice build up play. 

John Caulfield’s men soon extended their lead three minutes later as in-form Kieran Sadlier dispatched of his penalty kick as Robert Cornwall was adjudged to have handled the ball in his own box by referee Tomás Connolly. 

City were never in any real danger of seeing their lead slip after that and Karl Sheppard rounded off a very positive day at the office with a curling free-kick finish two minutes from time to secure a three-nil victory for John Caulfield’s men, as the "Rebels" went four points clear at the top of the table. 

Limerick FC 0-1 Shamrock Rovers

A sizeable Shamrock Rovers travelling contingent saw their side edge out Tommy Barrett’s Limerick FC side at the Market’s Field, as Graham Burke popped up with a penalty kick winner in the 75th minute. 

Stephen Bradley’s "Hoops" came into this game off the back of a morale-boosting win over Dublin rivals St Patrick’s Athletic, while Tommy Barrett’s "Super Blues" came into the game having managed to hold champions Cork City at the Markets Field. 

With Limerick looking like they were holding out their more distinguished opposition, it was a rash Shaun Kelly tackle which saw Graham Burke being handed the opportunity to put the ball in the back of Brendan Clarke’s net from the penalty spot, which he duly obliged to do. 

Limerick did rally and saw their cause bolstered as Sean Kavanagh was handed his marching orders but couldn’t benefit from the numerical advantage, as Shamrock Rovers held out and saw themselves shoot up to 2nd place in the league table for the time being.