Premier Division review - Round 13

Review by  @AndrewDempsey2

Review by @AndrewDempsey2

It was another cracking weekend in the Premier Division this weekend as Dundalk and Derry City played out a fantastic two-all draw that had drama all the way up until the final whistle. Elsewhere, the pressure on Stephen Bradley cranked up another notch as Shamrock Rovers were held at home by Limerick, while Cork City saw their way past a spirited Bohemians side at Dalymount park. Bray Wanderers fell to a three-nil defeat at the RSC against Waterford, while Sligo and St.Pat's ended as a scoreless draw. 

Shamrock Rovers 1-1 Limerick FC

Coming into Tallaght Stadium on the back of an abysmal three consecutive league defeats, Shamrock Rovers failed to bounce back in the way they were planning to as they threw away a one-goal lead against Tommy Barrett’s misfiring Limerick. An 86th minute strike from Danny Morrissey earned the relegation candidates a share of the spoils on yet another damaging night for "Hoops" boss Bradley.

It seemed as if Rovers were on course to record their first league victory in three games after Graham Burke struck in the 15th minute to give Shamrock rovers an early lead. However, the "Hoops" failed to impress their doubters throughout as Limerick looked to take advantage of a confidence shot Stephen Bradley side.

Limerick’s equaliser did arrive late on as Danny Morrissey popped up in the right place at the right time to plunge Stephen Bradley's further into the mire and he must dust himself off and prepare his side hoping to avoid a potential banana skin in the EA Sports Cup on Tuesday evening against Longford Town.  

Dundalk FC 2-2 Derry City

If there was ever a fantastic advert for the League of Ireland this was it. After going behind once, then twice, Kenny Shiels’ Derry City fought their way back into the game as they left Oriel Park with a massive point against the top of the table "Lilywhites".

After taking the lead thanks to an early Robbie Benson strike, Dundalk soon found themselves pegged back thanks to an Aaron McEneff penalty from twelve yards out as Gary Rogers proud clean sheet record was ended by a well taken spot-kick.

However, this parity wasn’t to last long as Michael Duffy soon restored Dundalk’s lead just before the referee blew up for half-time. Keen to be undeterred by this latest setback, the "Candystripes" rallied and were soon rewarded thanks to an Eoin Toal goal, which leveled matters once again.

City then hit the crossbar after Rogers failed to catch a set-piece at the first opportunity but that was to be that in terms of goals scored.

Derry City were forced to finish the game with ten-men as Gavin peers saw red after he picked up two yellow cards in both the first and second halves.

Bohemians 0-2 Cork City

After stunning bitter rivals Shamrock rovers once again at Tallaght Stadium, Bohemians were unable to build on their big Dublin Derby win last weekend as they fell to a two-goals to nil defeat against John Caulfield’s Cork city at Dalymount park. Colm Horgan and Graham Cummins got on the score sheet to seal the deal for the Rebel Army.

It was a game of fine margins at Dalymount Park as Cork City took an early lead thanks to a Colm Horgan cross turned shot that caught out Shane Supple in the Bohemians goal.

Despite rallying soon after, Bohemians couldn’t find their way past Mark McNulty as Eoghan stokes and co. threatened the City rear-guard with some fine chances.

Inevitably, with "Bohs" failing to make any of their chances pay, Graham Cummins of Cork City sealed the deal for John Caulfield’s men who picked up two points on their bitter rivals Dundalk at the top of the table at the home of Irish football.   

Waterford FC 3-0 Bray Wanderers

After struggling in recent games following the suspensions of influential midfield pairing Stanley Aborah and Bastian Hery, Waterford finally got their season back on track with a hard-fought three-nil victory against bottom of the pile Bray wanderers at the RSC.  

Despite the score-line stating otherwise, this game was far from a walk in the park for Waterford against a re-invigorated Bray Wanderers side under the stewardship of caretaker, Graham Kelly.

After keeping the game scoreless for the first forty-five minutes, the "Seagulls" fell behind thanks to a Faysel Kasmi strike in the 53rd minute. The "Blues" soon doubled their lead thanks to a Derek Daly finish in the 81st minute, while Faysel Kasmi scored his second and Waterford’s third of the night late on in the 94th minute.

Sligo Rovers 0-0 St. Patrick's Athletic

After bouncing back from last Friday nights defeat to Cork City with a comfortable 1-0 win over nine-man Waterford, "Saints" boss Liam Buckley will surely be left frustrated following his sides nil-nil draw against a struggling Sligo Rovers at the Showgrounds on Saturday night.   

It's been a far from inspiring start to the season for the hosts but Sligo Rovers will probably be looking at this game as one that may have got away from them, as they threw away a plethora of chances to take the spoils at the Showgrounds. Ger Lyttle's team finished the game with ten-men, following David Cawley’s late dismissal.

Both sides must now focus towards their next games as the "Bit O’Red" prepare themselves for a big test away to Alan Reynolds’ Waterford, as Liam Buckley’s prepare to host Dublin rivals Bohemians in Inchicore.